Monday, September 10, 2012

Now showing at Camphill Kimberton: "Science Informed by Art"


Now showing at Camphill Kimberton: Science Informed by Art, the work of two Ursinus College students, Jacqueline Kimmel and Liz Palovick.

The opening is Monday, September 10 at 7 p.m. in the Wellspring Gallery in the foyer of Kepler House. The exhibit runs until October 7.








Please see the artists' statements below.


Science Informed by Art

Jacqueline Kimmel
Jmkimmel13@gmail.com

This exhibit reflects the works of a recent intensive summer research program. What started as a project about the role of the artist in nineteenth century Britain has evolved into a deeper understanding of what I believe is my own role as an artist and scientist. The catalyst for this inquiry was a trip to the Galápagos Islands, which focused on the life and work of Charles Darwin. While on the islands themselves, working simultaneously as artist and scientist, I was mesmerized by the landscapes that seemed impossible to capture on paper. The seemingly untouched wilderness was both beautiful and dangerous, which stimulated contrasting emotions and has led to an interest in the sublime.  Through corresponding research, I have indulged this curiosity and explored how artists of the 1800’s were able to interpret and render these landscapes. My work expands beyond the purely representational, allowing me to explore new approaches to both material and content.


Liz Palovick:
lizpalovick@gmail.com

My work serves as a platform for exploration and my background in biology heavily informs this inquiry. By definition, biology is the study of life and the structure, function, and growth of living organisms. This explanation alone is the starting point for unlimited discovery. From this foundation, I aim to investigate interconnections in the world around me: systems of energy in nature, chemical interactions, biological exchanges, and parts that amass to a whole. I aim to suggest that there is no single entity in the world that operates outside of these constructs and I utilize recognizable imagery in an effort to map these entangled systems in a manner that will be accessible to a multitude of viewers. Although heavily influenced by the sciences, my work contains a fantastical aspect born from the juncture of knowledge and whimsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment